This Week's Share Includes
- zucchini and/or yellow crook-neck summer squash (see recipe bellow)
- cucumber - Lemon cucumber, pickling cukes, and/or Straight Eight
- tomatoes - Sugar Sweetie Cherry, Yellow Perfection, Roma and heirloom variety Black From Tula- basil
- hot pepper
- potatoes - Colorado Rose
- kale - enjoy one of our 5 varieties of kale!
- chard - Swiss chard and/or rainbow chard
- cut flowers - sunflowers
RECIPE for SUMMER SQUASH
(Yellow or Zucchini)
You should find most of these ingredients in your CSA shares!
2 lbs squash and/or zucchini, sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced
2 smallish tomatoes or one large tomato, peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove of garlic, chopped
5 or 6 slices of cheese - jack or cheddar
Basil, either dry or chopped fresh
Salt and pepper
1 Put onion, garlic, squash, bell pepper into a large saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Put on high heat and brown the vegetables slightly to develop flavor. As you are browning, sprinkle either dried basil or chopped fresh basil on the vegetables. When vegetables are slightly browned, remove from heat, add the slices of cheese, and cover the pan.
2 In a separate stick-free fry pan, put the tomatoes and cook at medium hi heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to let the juice from the tomatoes evaporate some. After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes to the rest of the vegetables and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.