Vegan means no animal products; no egg, butter, milk or meat. The zucchini bread you received in your CSA shares last week were made with flax meal, a healthy egg alternative rich in omega-3 fatty acids. More info below about flax and other egg replacers. This recipe is an adaptation from the Joy of Cooking.
[one 9 x 5 loaf or a pie pan greased with vegetable oil]
1. Preheat oven to 375o.
2. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over 2 tablespoons flax meal (ground flax seeds) (this is your gooey egg replacer!)
3. Grate 2 cups of raw zucchini or yellow summer squash and SQUEEZE of excess moisture.
4. Whisk together:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (I like to use a mix of whole wheat and oat flour when I have them available)
1 teaspoon baking soda (or a little less)
1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder (or a little less)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or a little more)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5. Blend well in a large bowl:
3/4 cup cane juice crystals (sugar) or 1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower oil because I trust it is not GMO)
Flax goo (see step 2)
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6. Stir in the dry ingredients.
7. Stir in zucchini/summer squash. Blend in a few swift strokes.
8. Lower oven to 350o. Check after 45 minutes.
Flax as an egg replacer
Other egg replacers